- Debtor filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy.
- Debtor’s attorney notified Verizon of filing and all debts were discharged.
- Verizon continued to contact the Debtor for payment.
- Debtor’s attorney sent letter to Verizon and received no response.
- Attorney filed Motion for sanctions against Verizon.
- Verizon did not respond to any of the letters by the Attorney or the Motion.
- Verizon has been previously sanctioned in other cases.
- “There is simply no excuse for Verizon’s conduct in this case, and perhaps that is why Verizon chose not to attend the hearing or defend the motion.”
- Judge ordered Verizon to pay both actual damages as well as punitive damages.
- Court threatened additional fines if Verizon continued to violate debtors’ rights.